Photo by Rob Westhouse - Biggar, SK
TCRC Division 847
CN Mainline Biggar & Saskatoon
In 1907, the Canadian Pacific Railway (CPR) steel passed through the district, and 1908 marked the arrival of the Grand Trunk Pacific Railroad. The settlement of Biggar, which took its name from W. H. Biggar, general counsel for the Grand Trunk Pacific Railway (GTPR), was incorporated as a village in 1909. In 1910, the GTPR decided to establish a divisional point, sparking a construction boom that shot the population over the 600 mark. Biggar became one of the home terminals where train crews changed. The station was one of the largest in the west, boasting an all-night restaurant. Biggar was incorporated as a town in 1911.